Are you scared?

Worry if she then sacks you ;-)

Frozen pensions would be a problem, I still pay volontary contributions as I'd got 16 years before moving to France, yes most of my working life will be here in France but I'm not banking on there being much in the pot here either as the RSI will probably be bankrupt by the time I get to retirement age!

As for pensioners here in France, good point Clive, I can't see the UK paying for your costs here if it leaves the EU - could be very expensive...! :-O

And as ALex says, some of us work here in restricted fields. Only French or EU nationals can be buralistes here in France, if the UK leaves the EU will the State stop me running my tabac/business , will I have to transfer everything to my French OH and officially become a shop assitant...?

I'm not scared but I am worried about my pension being frozen at the rate when I left UK. I am also worried about health cover as the S1 form is an EU form which would no longer have validity after Brexit. The implications on having to pay for healthcare - not to mention the tax exemptions - could mean a move back to UK for financial reasons.It is extremely unlikely that we would be kicked out but another layer of bureaucracy would be inevitable - carte sejour etc. Make sure you are registered to vote in the referendum - you have to re-register every year now.

With you all the way. I am of the opinion, to be proven wrong, that the UK government has no actual plan for the eventuality of leaving the EU and that after the loud mouth Europhobes have celebrated for a while the hard knocks of reality will begin to penetrate their thick skulls. I am not going back, end of, so will grin and bear whatever. Right now the French in London are probably having a good laugh because the companies many of them have set up in finance and hi-techs especially would be a loss to the economy that would have no immediate replacement and that there are also lots of people employed in the energy sector, EDF being the biggest supplier plus nuclear energy development and production. It would be folly to imagine that those Britons who chose to return would somehow 'slot in'. In fact, the French and German people working in the UK have largely gone there to do jobs the UK people do not and those of us who have left do such vastly different things anyway that it would be a total disaster. There is a large number of the two combined without looking at the many other EU people there.

Folly puts it mildly when a country that should have positioned itself far more at the centre is now walking toward the periphery and then will stumble out and, as many people who stumble, may well fall.

This has probably been covered many times before but, just in case . . . At present, health care charges are reimbursed to France by the the UK for those of us above retirement age.

Would this continue if the UK was to exit the EU? or, does our Carte Vitale become a collector's item.

Who knows what the French government would do ? The UK government doesn't even know what it would do in concrete terms ! If the UK started kicking out the ca. 250000 French workers (or so I am led to believe by a quote from Boris Johnson) just in London alone, of which a fair number are alleged to have created businesses, then I could imagine that, aside from cutting off the "scrounging pensioners" feeding off the social security system, the French government would also start looking at imposing restrictions on who can do what as a profession here in France, much like there used to be here before things got all European - there are still some professions that one can not carry out in France if one isn't a French national, e.g. join the armed forces (Foreign Legion excepted), the Gendarmerie or any other state security unit (I imagine that the intelligence services have made exceptions for double agents, and the like, as and when it suits them). Yes, I'm pushing things to the extreme, especially with my "scrounging pensioners" remark, but there is definitely a fringe of the French population, much as the parallel in the UK, that resents people coming to France and having access to e.g. health care without ever having contributed to the system. All it takes is for some good old whipping up of public sentiment against a minority and there you have it, powder keg waiting to explode in petty tit for tat diplomatic reprisals.

So who knows ? As a regulated professional here in France, my status is in jeopardy if such tit for tat reprisals were to occur. Sure, I could work anywhere in Europe in theory, but the same would no doubt apply if the UK took the opinion that "johnny foreigner" regulation was deemed a necessity, including all those nasty mainland Europeans, coming over and scringing off the state - never mind the fact that many of them work, and get taxed, even if only to return to their home country later. I apologise for the sarcastic tone, but the anti-European sentiment that has been paraded around in recent months just amazes and despairs me - it's as if we've forgotten that we've had two world wars in the past century, and taken leave of our senses. Yes, there are things that don't work as they should in Europe, but for me, that isn't reason enough to throw the baby out with the bath water. Why not set fire to it too, and kick it off a cliff just for good measure ?

On the positive side, if I am to believe Cameron et al, the UK will negotiate a whole set of deals with all of the various states, including the EEA countries, so I might be able to seek refuge in Switzerland or Norway, or everything will just carry on as usual ? At least I could, if it came to it, apply for French nationality, having been working here in France for nigh on 23 years, but the point is, I shouldn't have to.

I'm not a worrier by nature, but my profession has taught me to hope for the best, and plan for the worst.

I have seen several reports saying the same. Lemmings ready to commit suicide en masse (OK, we all know that lemmings don't really do that, but the English appear to).

according to Le Monde it's almost chose faite...! :-O

But being married to a Frenchman and having a French national child will protect you Helen Others who have chosen to settle here will have no protection even if they have lived here 16 years

I shall grant the latter (small donations for services rendered will be measured in drams) ;-)

The swivel eyed loons on the right of the Conservative party have hollowed out the party to such an extent that they will precipitate the destruction of that which they purport to wish to preserve; the Union. I despair of people like Grayling whose ineptitude in previous Cabinet and government posts has done little to impede his rise to the top; if Leader of the House is the top! I don't doubt that life in France under an NF influenced government might well prove problematical. Asylum in Scotland looks a possibility.

Yes, I think this referendum is pure lunacy. There is no way the potential repercussions of an exit vote can be presented accurately to the voters whilst a simplistic, nationalist “Rule Britannia” message may be easy to get across. As you point out Brian, Brexit might turn into an Engexit or even a Home Counties exit. Maybe that’s the “master plan” :slight_smile:

Exactly it David. I have a Swiss wife and dual national children, they could stay as before. I doubt very much if things would really change, certainly an IDS freeze would be on the cards since the only reason he has not already done it as in Australia and Canada is because EU law will not let him. For those with little enough here to be confronted with going back to the UK with house prices and all of the other things that are quite diametrically opposite those here it would be a minefield. It has not been thought through by the UK government and people like Chris Grayling are showing us that. They have no answers to simple questions, what will they do with complicated ones. I have no intention of 'going back'. I have left, I am a European Union supporter and would not like to be on the periphery because the country I 'belong in' has left it. I am also a Scot and there is going to be an almighty mess if the Scots do not support a Brexit but England (perhaps Wales too) vote to leave. It is the potential beginning for the end of the UK and it takes a stubborn little kipper mind to not see that.

Scared, no, but bloody defiant if push comes to shove.

I don't think that complacency should be encouraged. There is little or no evidence of what would actually happen if there was a Brexit. The Kippers and such like have no real policies, especially on what would happen to the Brits in Europe, or the Europeans in Britain. Their whole existence is a sham. On the other hand why should European nations be keen to give handouts after a Brexit? If one has a French partner there would be I imagine no problem. However for others, like us (retired Brit, non EU wife and Brit school age daughter) our continued life here would be potentially very difficult. The property and job market on both sides of the Channel would be put into chaos. British pensions in Europe would certainly be frozen if IDS was sstill about. Never has there been such a referendum with so little actually known about the effects of a result. Very dangerous. Russia must be laughing.

Personally not at all scared - lived here 16 years, completely integrated, married to a Frenchman with a French national child, own a registered business here and do quite a bit of voluntary work in my community