EV - buy or wait?

What about a Kia Soul? Ugly as a smacked bum, but very cubic, very practical and have been around for a while. I ‘know’ someone on another forum with the electric version and she really likes hers.

Depends on your kink, they have a strong following, maybe they are all non conformists?

It’s a zillion times less ugly than a nissan qubo🤣

1 Like

Traditional ICE manufacturers are either stlll using their existing bodies with a piece of plastic or whatever where the grille used to be; it seems they’re also frightened of customers’ reaction to a more radical change of design. It’s as though they haven’t realised that Teslas look good because they were designed from scratch as Ecars, and they’re able to have a sexier lower front end similar to that of mid-engined Italian sports cars like Ferraris and Lambos.

This looks great… But I hate the name Cyberster :person_facepalming:

There’s a bit too much going on up front, and the wings/doors could flow more smoothly, but otherwise it could pass for something from a Milanese carrozzeria (car styling studio).

Talking about the west I guess as they almost stubonly trudge forward mostly rely on their tie ins with estern manufacturers to come up with the ideas and then shoe horn them into existing vehicles.

I’m not sure, but it could have something to do with safety, crumple zones etc

This is what an electric car should look like… (Italian design too :slightly_smiling_face:)… Plenty of room for people and since there’d be no ICE it could have a hatch too. It would be quite good fun (if a tad irresponsible) to out drag an ICE Porsche in one of these full kiddies and Carrefour bags.

5 Likes

If they move to motors mounted in the wheels then it opens up a whole raft of new purpose designed transport.

1 Like

I’d say they are being wise, because the Tesla designs are generally unattractive in real life, and don’t look at all good once a little dirty. Plus they want a transition from designs that are recognisably theirs moving forward, like the VW ID series having Golf/Polo heritage.

Well, a little less ugly. :smile:

1 Like

Porsche? until a new CEO or designer is brought in most manufacturers stick to a blue print, how well that scales over a few years…

1 Like

I’d argue that Tesla’s saloons are amongst the visually cleanest designs on the road today, particularly at a time when French and Japanese family cars are getting uglier and uglier. These huge grilles and over-complicated LED displays are no substitute for simple clean design.

If you see the Giugiario (greatest car designer of all time?) Golf Mk1 next to any of its successors, the later cars look bloated (as is the case with so many other marques). Teslas look similarly slim .

1 Like

Interesting how we see things differently. I see a bulbous, unfinished looking vehicle, almost like a plastic model when I look at a Tesla. Yes, the lines are un-complicated, but also unsophisticated. I also recognise deep ugliness in some of the other EV designs too, particularly Kia SUV types with, as you say, complicated LED arrangements, but at least they’re trying to style their cars even if it doesn’t work well.

MkI Golf, yes, a nice clean design, but with a sense of style, purpose and intent - a design that was borrowed from quite a bit. It wasn’t so long after that Ford launched the repulsive jelly-mould Sierra and many cars went blobby after that.

Giugiario was the leading exponent of what became known as the ‘folded paper’ school of design and his Golf epitomises that. But he’d already designed the Lambo Miura, which is often cited as the most beautiful car ever made (on account of its sexy curves)

But then he followed it with the Countach, that I once described as the most ‘visually brutal’ car - it’s like a fighter aircraft

But he also designed the FIAT Panda

For me, Giugiario’s ability to design great cars at both ends of the spectrum is why he’s the best.

1 Like

I think the ID 4 and 5 are badly built dogs AM, with dreadful infotainment systems. And I a fan of VWs usually. They should have stuck with a Tiguan theme for that segment. The Buzz is a bit of a joke too IMO.

I always thought that was the Aventador

1 Like

Yes sales were very slow when launched. I bought a brand new 2 litre ghia for £5999 in 1983 and collected it from the showroom at 1 minute past midnight on 1st August when the then new system of registration came out, it was quite an event. A 500 OTL.
It was the height of luxury at the time, for me anyway.

1 Like

A very marmite car, I would like one if it wasnt made by VW and its a really an expensive van, unnecessarily so.

1 Like