Gardening questions and chat!

Managed to slither down to the polytunnel and harvest a sweet potato plant yesterday afternoon :laughing: The two biggest specimens weigh 2.8 and 3.4 kgs respectively. No shortage of SP chips and purée this winter, then :grinning:

3 Likes

Excellent :sunglasses::sunglasses: I haven’t checked ours yet as it hasn’t gotten cold enough to affect the leaves yet, it won’t be long though.

1 Like

How many plants was that from?

Probably one if mine are anything to go by.

2 Likes

We ended up with a big bucketful from 5 plants, which we planted and then did nothing with (we’ll do better next year @Griffin36 after your advice earlier!)

2 Likes

I will let you know how things go as I have tried some in 5 gal felt planter pots this year.

1 Like

Just one plant, toryroo. I let it wander all over the polytunnel as groundcover wherever there are no other crops. It’s preferable to weeds and seems to fuel decent-sized tubers :grinning:

1 Like

It would be a huge advantage not to have to dig for the tubers! I might try starting them off in some sort of big, shallow container on the ground, next year.

MIne were planted not very far down and we hardly had to dig for them at all - they sort of grew sideways and round each other! We ended up with some very strangely shaped potatoes but they taste great!

I want to try @Griffin36 's technique with pots and winding the long leaf bits around so they reroot. I’m hoping we’ll get a full report on this year’s pots :smiley:

4 Likes

Well I’m massively impressed! Considering sweet potato is around 3x the price of normal this seems like a much better option to grow! Is it possible for you to weigh them? I’m curious as I read that you can expect around 1-1.5 kg per plant. It was around 2 e for a plant when I looked so figured it wasn’t worth it v 2,99/kg between space and water on top but you seem to have much more than that! Perhaps it was a UK growth estimate!

When are you going to harvest?

Heh I have said it in the past but we are twins, this is how my poor garden has to cope as well :rofl:

1 Like

I might empty one of the pots this weekend depending on the weather.
I am in the middle of renovating one of the large outhouses at the moment, replaced the roof and timbers and just finishing off rewiring it so it’s been busy.
My wife is putting all the geraniums and begonias into the greenhouse this weekend and will be harvesting Brussel sprouts, leeks, peppers, tomatoes, turnips and carrots this as well, I have built a small winter coup for the geese so will be introducing them to it this weekend.

1 Like

Hi Griffin,
I’d like to grow some SP’s next year, so I’ve a few questions, if you’d be so kind.
Do you buy the slips and when (time of year. And any benefits of buying?

Plant a few SP’s in pots in the house sometime during the Winter / Spring to harvest the slips.
I have 20, 7 gallon containers and 10, 10 gallon containers, which size would best? I’ll only use 5 for the SP’s.
Any other hints and tips

I’m out and about at an art exhibition just now, but have a look around post 248 in this topic down to see what I do.

1 Like

Funny looking geese?

:grin: I did say they have yet to be introduced to it, the chickens are already in that paddock :wink:

Hi toryroo, I dug out the bathroom scales today :laughing: The biggest was 4.9kgs, the second biggest 3.7kgs. The 25 others come in at between 1.5kgs and 100 gms. 28.8kgs total. One plant. Trying to work up the energy to dig up the other plant :rofl:

2 Likes

You are kidding me!!! Why on earth did I think 1-1.5 kg / plant :rofl: Do you mind if I ask what area you are in?

At Lidl price of 2.99/kg that’s over 86 Euros,!