ITV online - what an abysmal service

It happens in the UK with us as well as here so not VPN related.

Which largely supports my contention that multicast does not work in the general case across the internet and even limited deployment beyond a single private network is a lot of effort.

It’s not well suited to on demand services anyway, so given the growth of CDNs you might as well use unicast even for those broadcasts where there would be an argument for employing a multicast because live sports is a small percentage of delivered content and you need unicast for the rest anyway.

Interestingly I notice that BBC news (unrecorded, live) came from cloudfront but pre-recoded material, even though it was “live” came from Akamai - it’s obviously a complex setup.

I’m presuming that (not withstanding SF members’ experience who, let’s face it, are living in a non-target country) that the ITV player manages to deliver content to most people without massive amounts of buffering.

Definitely worth starting with “how are you connecting to the service?” - what’s your internet connection (4/5G, ADSL, VDSL or Fibre?), what speed do you get, are you using a VPN, is the TV/casting device connected via Ethernet or Wi-Fi?

Streaming services are affected by bandwidth, latency and jitter - but will try to compensate for these - streams can auto-adjust to lower quality to fit within the available bandwidth and jitter can be overcome to an extent by buffering.

Wi-Fi hops, mesh networks, 4/5G internet connections, VPN use, and overloaded ISPs all make jitter much worse which is why one person might see problems and another not.

To @letsmile - if the TV is on WiFi, might be worth switching to wired. Also what TV/how old - some older TVs just have underpowered CPUs which will struggle to run the modern streaming apps smoothly. Our last TV upgrade was largely driven by the fact the old one just did not have the horsepower for the channel 4 app.

PS, I’ll try to remember to check the ITV player app when I’m next over - but that’s not going to be for four weeks.

It’s not restricted to the tv. I mentioned earlier, it is the same appalling performance on the ipad, iphone and macbook. Why is it that all other streaming services work just fine??? Something specific to itv.

All on WiFi I suspect though.

Certainly something in your setup is sub optimal for ITV in a way the other services manage to overcome - but difficult to diagnose remotely.

Aim to increase bandwidth and reduce jitter. Make sure no-one else is using the 'net and use wired connections throughout if you can. If it gets a lot better you might have a clue as to the problem.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Yes I use all on wifi, so will give it a whirl later using a wired connection and see how I get on​:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

Ah, I don’t know. My VPN is a nightmare for streaming stuff. I hope you can get it sorted.

1 Like

I hope so too, as it makes watching almost unbearable. May have to dig the humax out to get that rigged up again, which does feel a bit like going back in time, but sometimes you can’t beat older tech!

Just read through the posts, mine is wired rather than WiFi and I might get a blip on the odd occasion but that’s to be expected, that includes all UK channels

Ours is too - rarely have problems. Apple is more of a nuisance - buffers quite a lot. But then we don’t have Apple products. And yes we use a VPN.