Can I transfer an existing orange landline number to voip?

Hi, I have a business in France and I use an orange landline number for this (so first point, I absolutely have to keep this same landline number). I have a fibre / phoneline package from Orange. Anyway, 2 weeks ago the fibre and phone stopped working due to a fault in the line somewhere away from my house. There is no date yet for when it may be fixed. So I bought starlink which works perfectly for internet (and is cheaper!). But the phone being down is severely affecting my business and I dont want to risk that this will probably happen again in the future (if you look at the quality of the fibre installation that they have done in the area, its a wonder it ever works). So I understand its possible to use a landline number over the internet using a VOIP. So I would hopefully be able to transfer my existing orange number to a VOIP and then dump orange altogether. So does anyone know if this is possible or does anyone have any experience or advice doing this? Thanks!

VOIP stands for Voice Over Internet Protocols. So if you don’t have an internet connection it does not work.

Rob does have internet though, as he mentioned he now has a Starlink setup to provide it while his landline is down?

Welcome to the forum @robsheldon !

1 Like

I think the answer is a definite maybe.

You need an RIO from Orange - Relevé d'identité opérateur — Wikipédia - which you then give to your VoIP supplier.

It’s not really intended for temporary redirections though, you probably want it to be a permanent move before going down that path (it implies cessation of your Orange service for instance).

Not really answering your question but, in the short term, could you not redirect your Orange number to your mobile or to a new VOIP number?

I’m on Sosh and can do that from the app and I’d imagine you could do the same with Orange. Not perfect but at least you’d get your incoming calls.

3 Likes

Yep, I just checked in the Orange et Moi app and there’s an option to send calls directly to voicemail, or send calls to another landline or mobile number.

There’s even an option to redirect calls to another number whilst still routing the call to the original number, so you can have a race to see who can answer a call first. That’s pretty clever :nerd_face:

1 Like

Thanks for the replies! Theres a bit of reading for me! Would be great to hear from someone who has actually done this.

Is this link any use ?

EDIT: also this link.