Insurance for Germany?

Friend going to Germany to study for 3 months. She is British with a long stay residency card for France and has a CV.
Does she need ‘travel’ insurance, ? mostly for illness/accident? If so sugestions please.
Many thanks

I am fairly sure that Insurance at least for Health/illness/repatriation is strongly advised when travelling in another country…

as well as the appropriate health card to use abroad… Ameli provides the CEAM if applicable…

and surely @fabien can suggest/advise on insurance matters :wink:

She’ll need a specific insurance for living and studying there, it is a requirement (at least it applied to my daughter and she’s an EU person).

Yeah, getting travel insurance is a good call, especially for health stuff. Better safe than sorry, you know? I’ve heard good things about World Nomads and Allianz for short trips like that. Cheers!

Hello there, the only legal requirement when traveling abroad inside the EU (whatever you are a EU citizen or not) is that you need to have public liability. Sometimes your home insurance policy covers you all across the EU (as personal public liability is always included on home & contents insurance in France) but sometimes not and also your kid may not be part of your property insurance anyway. As public liability is included on “schengen insurance” policies that may be a good reason to get one but apart from this one just asking for an European medical cover card (carte Européenne d’assurance maladie) is often good enough. Sometimes schools may require the “private” insurance too so it’s not really a matter of what’s legally required but what “they” may require from her :wink:

1 Like

The insurance I’m talking about is a general insurance that you are obliged to have if living and studying in Germany, it is compulsory, like having house insurance in France. You take it out in Germany. Nothing to do with assurance maladie etc.

1 Like

I agree. I believe officially registered students can be insured within the German State scheme relatively cheaply.

Many thanks to everyone for advice,
regards