Recommend A Garden Hose Nozzle (Pistol Type) Which Isn’t Rubbish

I’m struggling to find a garden hose nozzle which can survive more than a year a of normal use.

Have tried metal and plastic ones from Verve, Gardena, Hozelock et al and they fail internally or the housings crack.

Looking for recommendations of ones I can get from the local brico sheds.

Thanks in advance.

When you find one, let me know. I just accept these days that there are certain horrid plastic based items, especially if they are outdoors, that give up the ghost in next to no time.

I wouldn’t mind that, but my last two have been metal bodied and not cheap.

Both the spray pattern adjusters have failed and the trigger mech is locking up on the newest one.

1 Like

Also want the answer to this!!! The other thing is has anyone found decent tap / hose connector bits? We have very high pressure here and they all seem to fail and leak.

I prefer Gardena. I know they are expensive but the thing I especially like is that their new ones have a screw/tightener that slopes inwards, so tends to grip the hose better.

Most others, especially the cheaper brands are just straight sided and so don’t grip the hose as well.

I’m using them on a pump to our underground water tank, so the pressure is quite high.

The size/type of hose matters as well - I use the heavy duty yellow hosing these days which has thicker walls . I’ve still got older green hosing and if it’s leaking I wrap some plastic tape round the bit where the hose connector is supposed to grip, thus “fattening up” the hose itself.

2 Likes

Lidl.fr has brass connecfors of all sorts. The trick is to check all of the product variants to do with little bits of arrosage, as well. They even have had brass or stainless taps hidden as variants on a product or two that only displayed a plastic connector as their picture - the metal as variants.

Also Lidl searches often mostly pick up later generations of product in the category. If you look at the ‘alternative products’ appearing underneath a product found, you can have a happy chain of still-there earlier products that can have better or worse prices for the same thing, or more interesting products and variants come up that are not retrieving in search.

They’re literally awash with these products right now but it will end soon.

1 Like

I think that is what @toryroo is trying to stop. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is just one that comes up on ‘arrosage’ for instance.

or

and much more.

A search for laiton, on the other hand, will yield a smaller set and not all that are there will come up.

2 Likes

Buy cheap and in bulk - Action or Aldi/Lidl.

The Action connectors are fine - their various hose attachments don’t last but they only cost a few Euros.

1 Like

But I also find they leak from the word go. And @toryroo has problems with high water pressure. I’ve tried cheap and I finish paying more as I have to replace them.

1 Like

Buy from Amazon and use the guarantee?

Incidentally, our water pressure is extremely high and we were advised to have a limiter fitted to the incoming pipework from the meter… that’s done the trick and showers etc etc still all work fine…
and Gardenia has done us proud for more than 20 years so far … (famous last words :wink: )

1 Like

I have 8-11 bar on exit of the water meter which would basically blow out every tap and seal on the premises if I didn’t have a quality pressure regulator valve connecting the water meter to my plumbing.

2 Likes

No need for more than 2-3 bar for the house supplies. Deffo a regulator should be in place. Suddenly turning off a tap can cause a shockwave and take out an aged flex pipe or similar.
I fitted flow restrictors in the shower handsets to save water and still plenty of flow bit only using half the water of before. With guests in they could often use a lot of water.

1 Like

:rofl: I knew you boys would know the right name for what I was talking about.

1 Like

I found a metal pistolet on Amazon that works very well.
I think it was this one…

“FANHAO Pistolet d’arrosage métal Pistolet Arrosoir, bouton de contrôle de débit facile, Pulvérisateur de Jardin à haute pression professionnel, Puissant pour Lavage de Voiture, Arrosage de Jardin”

1 Like

I’ve been using a metal one from Super U since before Brexit and it’s still good, I do have the outside tap regulated at about 2 bar and the house at 3 bar, be careful not to end up with UK couplings on French hose as the sizes are different ½" or 15mm usually. I use old ½" brass CK couplings with UK Verve ½" anti kink hose from the UK

1 Like

We got the hose from the local farmers’ shop. We have nothing from the UK these days. But it wasn’t easy locally to find a hose connector that didn’t leak. They all look the same but are subtly different.

1 Like